Sunday 11 May 2008

more on Ante Ante Over

My sister Lou spent her entire elementary school years as a student at Dicksons Corners. I asked for her recollections of the rules and traditions of "Ante Ante Over" as we played it in the 1940's.

Here is what she said: "I am putting down the details I recall - accurate or not.
  • At Dickson's Corners - played over the entrance way. (as you remarked, only the bigger students would be strong enough to throw a ball over the height.)
  • I remember this game as an early morning game only - as kids arrived at school each would join a side in orderly fashion.
  • I do not recall a ball being provided by the school for this game; I think we waited for "the person with the ball" to arrive. I think it was expected that they would arrive early.
  • As soon as there were a few on each side the game began. the person with the ball called "ante, ante over" and then threw
  • If the other team caught the ball they went into attack mode, running as a team to tag with the ball as many on the opposite team as possible
  • at the first sign of attack the opposite team was headed to the other side of the entrance (safe territory)
  • because the ball had to be used as the tag, it could be carried by any team member not just the person catching it. I remember players being very generous about this - as well as who threw the ball
  • if you were tagged you became a member of the other team
  • so the game continued until one team had all the players
  • I also remember the players being very honest about "catching" the ball - only your own team would know but individual reputations were built on those moments.
  • there was always that build-in timing, The other team did not know if the ball had been caught ... and the opponents were going to charge at any moment or if they were adding to the thrill by waiting until "ante ante over!"

No comments: