Monday 1 June 2009

Corn Syrup Hockey Pictures My First Collection

I have always been a collector. There is something about the act of anticipating, acquiring, organizing, and building a collection that appeals to me. My first collection consisted of hockey pictures of the famous players on the Toronto Maple Leafs, the Montreal Canadiens and the other six teams that made up the NHL the 1950's. It wasn't because I liked -- or was even interested in hockey -- that I collected the pictures. But rather, I collected for the sake of collecting. And equally important to a boy with no money, the collection could be started, and developed, for the price of a stamp. The company which made this possible was the St. Lawrence Starch Company of Port Credit, Ontario. As its name implies, the St. Lawrence Starch Company made a whole range of products including Bee Hive Corn Syrup, Ivory Laundry Starch, and Durham Corn Starch. My mother used Bee Hive Corn Syrup in her cooking. The syrup came in a deep blue can embossed with a distinctive drawing of a large red bee hive. As I recall, there was a paper label fastened either around the can, or on the lid of the can. All that was required of me was to remove the label, to write down the name of the player whose picture I wanted and then to send it to the St. Lawrence Starch Company. In return I got a 5 x 7 glossy picture attached to a cardboard backing such as the picture of George Armstrong who later became the captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs. In retrospect I suspect that my collection was inspired as much by my father Gordon as by me. Since we didn't have a television at Dicksons Corners, and we never listened to the games on radio. I cannot understand how I could have known the names of the players. For me, then, the attraction was in the process of sending the letter, in anticipating the arrival of the picture and then in carefully adding it to the ones already in my collection.
Post Script: Lois corrected my version of this story. Our family -- at least Gordon and his two daughters -- regularly listened to the hockey games on the radio. Lois said that she, too, listened, not because she was interested but because it was a family event. As the game progressed, Gordon, who was lying on the couch would fall asleep, the two girls would attempt to change the station on the radio, but as soon as the station was changed Gordon would wake up and the dial would be returned to the hockey game.
Lois also noted that corn syrup was regularly used as a sweetner in cooking. I wonder if it is still available.

No comments: